.

Search This Blog

Bilingual Pets

I used to tell people that I thought it was amazing that my Dad and Rika's dogs, Randy and Bera were bilingual.  They understood both English and Japanese! Amazing.


Well, my Dad and Rika have been out of the States for a little bit now, and the babysitting duties have fallen on Rebekah and myself.  I was over there the other morning in complete frustration because of how these dogs were going crazy and weren't "listening to me"...that's until Rebekah came over the next day and they were angels for her. That's when I realized, these dogs aren't bilingual...they're just two little Japanese boys through and through.


Needless to say, they've forced me to speak the language, and I'm pulling Japanese phrases out of who-knows-where in trying to communicate with them!  I'll admit, I've even called Rebekah in desperation asking her, "Bek, how do you say, 'Slow down' in Japanese?!" as I'm running down the street trying to keep up with them...it's Yu-ku-lee, just in case you were wondering. :)


Oh Randy and Bera...they've taught me that I need to make sure that when I'm interacting with people that I learn to speak their language, and not assume that they know how I feel or what I mean simply because I do...I think this especially with my little nieces and nephews as words don't seem to speak as loudly to them as a hug or just some undivided attention.


This morning, I found myself saying to Randy, "Kokonee Oonko shi-te-nai yo! Wakalee-masu-ka?!" Translation "Don't poop here! Do you understand?!" That was said as I was on my hands and knees looking at him eye to eye while scrubbing up his "accident".  He closed his eyes and hung his head...yep, message received.  Needless to say, I was a bit frustrated as I fired off a text to Rebekah telling her what I was doing...she was so sweet as she came down to my office later today with the cutest little Miss Mushroom she made.  I ADORE this little Miss Mushroom as she's a reminder of this week of taking care of the dogs and so many things I love...my dear sister, Rebekah and even those crazy dogs who I'm convinced will be the death of me this week! :)

Photobucket

7 comments:

leah said...

this one got a LOL from me!! :)

love the picture of you running done the street screaming random japanese words!! hehe

smw said...

this brought a lot of funny images to mind. :)

Pam said...

I like Miss Mushroom!

Kasey said...

Loved this post. You are a funny girl!!!

arlan and katie said...

too funny Tams & thanks for humbly sharing :) I'm picturing the funny images of the dog named Randy (I still think that's a hoot), Rebekah translating to you, and you yelling Japanese at these dogs running down the street...surely you can teach your darling nieces & nephews a few Japanese phrases & they can "Help out" :)

Love you girl,
Kt

PS-Are you coming to Alesa's shower tomorrow?

Tami said...

I agree with all of you...it was a really funny image...now that I'm posting about it! :) Ha!!

Katie...thanks for the reminder!!! I was thinking it was December!!! Good thing you read my crazy blog, hu?! :)

Heidi said...

Tam, this was SO funny! I was laughing so hard picturing it all.

I also LOVE Miss Mushroom too!! Too Cute!

Post a Comment